Thursday 17 May 2007

The Never Ending War


On 12 April 2007, the Turkish police invaded the offices of Nokta, a magazine on politics and society, on the behest of the Turkish military. Shortly before, Nokta had published the diary of a Turkish general, in which plans for a coup against the current government were discussed. The police confiscated all computers and documents and copied all information. It started an interrogation in connection with article 318 and 319 of the Turkish Penal Law; these laws forbid every negative act against the Turkish Army. Owing to this, magazine Nokta ended publishing.




I had a conversation with a student about this event. His name is O.

O: The Army did a good job.
C: Huh?!
O: Publishing a general's diary, that's stupid.
C: But that means that there is no freedom of the press in this country?
O: Yes, there is, but some times you've to watch out. It can become dangerous for the country.
C: Why?
O: Some things are secret!
C: But this is a democratic country, isn't it? Haven't you the right to know what they know?
O: Yes, that's right. It isn't a problem if I shall know it. But there are not just Turks in this country. There are Germans, Englishmen...
C: (...)

Yes, indeed, I kept silence. A few seconds. Then... I looked around me, I acted as if I didn’t want anyone to hear me, I felt like in a mafia scene and in a manner similar to Godfather Don Corleone, I said: 'They already know'. Now, it was his turn to be quiet.





It appeared to me that he is still living in the First World War. England, France, Italy... they all still want to attack Turkey, to occupy Turkey. They're still enemies. The situation is deplorable, because it looks like tens of millions in Turkey are O's.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

the Prof Hesabi (an iranian phisic Prof) said when One of his students in USA asked what is the Third World. :"My son. In third world if U want to construct your house U must destroy your country and when U start to construct your country your house will be destroyed."
yes My friend this is our story ...

Ponentin said...

What you describe here is the so-called "Sevres-Syndrome" my friend!

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work.